What is dry fire?
- It’s not sitting on the couch watching TV, unless you are only working on your trigger press.
- Focus on what you are doing, and put up a target (see if you can snag an old one from a match)
- You can also print out a 1/3 scale target to use indoors
- Put on your gear
- Set aside time
- Use a par timer
- Par time is a specific function of a timer. It’ll give you a start beep, and an end beep after a specified amount of time.
- There’s a lot of smartphone apps out there for dry-fire. Some are free, some aren’t, but here’s what we recommend:
- iOS Users
- Android Users
- Buying a real shot timer
- The advantage of a real shot timer is that it’ll work for live fire as well, but they are expensive, and don’t store multiple drills like some of the apps do.
- Keep a log of your drills, times, etc
- When you practice, have a defined drill that you are working on.
- Draws, reloads, turn and draw, transitions, etc.
- The main thing I’ve been practicing is the visual patience to wait for your front sight and then press the trigger. Draws and reloads are the next best thing since you don’t have recoil.
- I promised that I would do some dry fire stuff on Instagram this week, so if you aren’t following us over there, you should be.
Oklahoma Senator proposes a ‘Piers Morgan’ bill that will allow for permitless open carry in the state. It modifies the current law in the state by adding a portion to the law that says the following:
7. When carried in a holster that is wholly or partially visible or in a scabbard, case or with a sling designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible and the person is eighteen (18) years of age or older. Any person who carries a Req. No. 2037 Page 2 firearm in the manner provided for in this paragraph shall be prohibited from carrying the firearm into any of the places prescribed in subsection A of Section 1277 of this title;
Connecticut legislators are pushing for an amnesty bill for citizens who failed to register their “assault weapons” and magazines. Turns out they only had about 1% of the guns registered that they were expecting by the January 1 deadline. Is this civil disobedience?
There was a murder/suicide at a shopping mall in Maryland recently. The media is again pushing this as some sort of a mass shooting, but it wasn’t.
Plug of the Week:
Hardcore History Podcast with Dan Carlin
It’s not a gun podcast, but it seems like everyone who likes our show, also likes Hardcore History, so you should check it out. I found the ‘Wrath of the Kahns’ series quite captivating, and I’m not really a big history buff.
Tip of the Week:
Short stages aren’t the time to “burn it down”. There’s very little room to excel and lots of room to fail. “You can’t win the match here but you can lose it here.”