After getting my reloading press all put together and ready to rock, I found myself with a bunch of clean brass in the tumbler with no way to separate it from the crushed walnut media. I looked around the garage, and found a stack of 3 little trash cans that appeared in my garage about the time of our wedding a few months back.
I figured since they nest together so nice it would be pretty easy to turn them into a quick and easy (and free) media separator.
I grabbed one of the trash cans and a ruler and began marking spots for holes on the bottom of it. After a few lines I decided to stop marking them, and just drill them freehand as close as I could.
This allows me to nest it inside the other trash can, pour in the contents of the tumbler, give it a few shakes, and I have nicely separated brass and media.
Then the media goes back into the tumbler for the next batch, and my brass is ready for the next step.
(By the way, adding a squirt of Brasso brass polish to the walnut media makes the media work a LOT better, and a lot faster.)