I’ve got a handful of Glock pistols, all of which wear some sort of aftermarket sights. For a couple years now, I have been hammering them in with a framing hammer, and a brass punch. It actually works quite well for getting them into the dovetail, however for fine tuning the sights at the range, it can be a pain.
I was home visiting my parents this last week, and I had the opportunity to do a good bit of shooting with my dad. I brought my Glock 19 with me on the trip, and we noticed that my rear sight wasn’t sitting quite square in the rear dovetail. out came the brass punch and hammer, and we tapped it over a little, but kept going too far. My dad, being the tinkerer that he is couldn’t have this. Shortly after we got back to my parents house, I heard the power tools making noise down in his workshop in the basement. I went downstairs to find him beginning to make a sight pusher so we could fine tune the sights on my Glock 19.
He started with an old aluminum C-clamp. Unfortunately I didn’t get a before shot of it, but I think everybody knows what a c-clamp looks like. Basically, we measured the distance from the bottom of the slide, to the optimum height on the rear sight for pushing. On my Glock 19, I believe this was 7/8″. We then took the threaded part of the c-clamp, and un-threaded it all the way, drilled and tapped a new hole for it, so it would be at the correct height for the Glock’s rear sight.
Drilling and tapping aluminum is pretty straight forward with the correct tools. After drilling the correct sized hole, it was really just one pass with the tap, and it was threaded. We then test fit everything, before cutting the bit of aluminum off of the end of the clamp that the clamp originally threaded through, and drilled and tapped it to be used as a stiffener to keep everything in line when pushing sights.
Anyways, we used an old scrap c-clamp that dad had kicking around his workshop, so I’m not sure where you could find the exact thing, however, I really wanted to put this up just as an idea for you tinkerers out there. I’m sure something similar could be made using a steel clamp, a couple properly sized and threaded nuts, and some creative welding.
Anyways, here’s the pictures. She isn’t real pretty, but she works quite well. (Sorry about the crappy lighting in a couple of the pictures, my light source wasn’t cooperating.)